UNCG’s Department of Library and Information Studies http://lis.uncg.edu/ has moved up in the ranks of the new U.S. News & World Report 2014 edition of “Best Graduate Schools.” It is now #22, up from #29 (2009 ranking), of the U.S. master’s degree programs in library and information studies accredited by the American Library Association. The rankings, which were released March 12, 2013, will be featured in the “Best Graduate Schools 2014” edition, available on April 9th. The rankings are based solely on the results of a fall 2012 survey sent to the dean of each program, the program director, and a senior faculty member in each program.
A few recent UNCG LIS notable achievements include:
- Offering of its online MLIS degree in addition to its Greensboro campus program, starting January 2013.
- 2013 graduation of the second cohort of 20 ACE Scholars. The Academic and Cultural Enrichment (ACE) Scholars program, one of several collaborations with the UNCG Libraries, has received two major grants (over $1.75 million) from the Laura Bush 21st Century Librarian Program of the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS), and works with 10 participating academic libraries across North Carolina. http://lis.uncg.edu/academic-programs/diversity-and-community/
- International engagement through its iLEAD Fellows program http://lis.uncg.edu/academic-programs/diversity-and-community/, currently awarded to Senem Acar from Turkey and Mohamed Berray (also a Fulbright Scholar) from Egypt, and hosting of Visiting Scholars, currently Dr. José Antonio Merlo Vega from the University of Salamanca. http://lis.uncg.edu/visiting-scholar-dr-jose-merlo/
- Alumna Beatriz Guevara (MLIS 2010) was honored as one of 10 winners of the 2012 I Love My Librarian Award. http://atyourlibrary.org/beatriz-adriana-guevara-beyond-walls-library/
- Chair Clara M. Chu is current Vice President/ President Elect of the Association for Library and Information Science Education (ALISE) http://www.alise.org/alise-election-2013 and Co-Chair and Treasurer of the Standing Committee of the IFLA Section on Education and Training. http://www.ifla.org/about-set.