The University of North Carolina at Greensboro

School of Education - Library and Information Studies


Frequently Asked Questions

Programs and Admissions

School Library and Instructional Technology Licensure Questions

Visions Program

Financial Aid Inquiries

Form Inquiries

Student Advisement

Information Technology

Student Services

Programs and Admissions

What degrees are offered?

The LIS Department at UNCG offers the Master of Library and Information Studies (MLIS) degree. Within this degree, a student may choose to specialize in a particular area, such as academic libraries, special libraries, public libraries, school libraries, etc.

The department also offers the MLIS with a specialization in school library that can qualify a graduate for North Carolina State Licensure through the NC Department of Public Instruction.

What are the program requirements?

The MLIS program requires 36 semester hours of course work of which 15 hours are core courses (LIS 600, 615, 620, 640, 650) and a final one-hour course (LIS 698) in which the student completes a professional portfolio. It is strongly recommended that LIS 600 be taken in the first semester of the program and the remaining core requirements be taken as early as possible in the MLIS program. The Capstone portfolio (LIS 698) is usually taken in the last semester of course work.

How do I apply to the MLIS program?

Application forms and directions are available in the Prospective Students/Admissions section of the LIS website and from the Graduate School. The application process requires application to the Graduate School at UNCG, one copy of all post-secondary academic work, the scores from the Graduate Record Exam, and three letters of recommendation. The department additionally requires a current resume, and a statement from the applicant addressing the reasons for the decision to work toward the MLIS degree. The process does not begin until all elements of a complete application are forwarded to the department and to the Admissions Committee.

How important are the GRE or MAT scores?

The scores earned on the Graduate Record Exam (general exam) or Miller Analogies Test (MAT) are very important in the decisions of the LIS Admissions Committee in admitting a student to the program. They are, however, only one of the elements considered in the evaluation of the prospective student’s record. Other factors given consideration by the Admissions Committee are the undergraduate grade point average, the statement of intent, the letters of recommendation, and the resume submitted by the applicant to the department. Information about the GRE dates and applications for the GRE are available at the GRE official site.  Information about the MAT is available here.

What GRE score would guarantee program admission?

In general, the Admissions Committee looks for a score of 500 on each of the verbal and quantitative portions of the general GRE exam. However, there is no minimum score established for admission to the MLIS program. Average GRE scores for students accepted into the program in the past few years are approximately 550 on each portion. The Admissions Committee considers the whole of the prospective student’s record in making admissions decisions.

What is the status of my LIS application?

If you have submitted an application electronically, you can check the status of that application. To begin, sign back into the same web page that you used to apply. The application you submitted is available for browsing during the UNCG Graduate School Application Process. For more information, visit the Graduate School.

Can I get my degree online?

Yes, the program is offered fully online as well as fully on campus for students desiring an on-campus experience.  The Department of Library and Information Studies offers its courses using a variety of delivery modes, including face-to-face, asynchronous and synchronous online, and hybrid, in order to make its program widely accessible, whether you are studying in Greensboro or at a distance.

How long does the program take?

The MLIS degree can be earned in 36 semester hours. The length of time it would take a student to complete the requirements will depend on the number of hours the student is willing to take in any given term. Typically, UNCG students in Greensboro and at the distance sites progress through the MLIS program on a part-time basis and the degree will take two to three years of part-time work to complete. The Graduate School at UNCG imposes a five-year limit on courses that apply toward a graduate degree. This five-year term begins with the first course the student takes that is to be applied to the MLIS degree.

When do I apply to graduate?

The application for graduation must be received by the end of the first week of classes of the term in which the degree will be granted. Click here for the  Application for Graduation.

School Library and Licensure Questions

How do I become licensed as a school librarian?

In North Carolina, school librarians (076 licensure) are required to hold a Master of Library and Information Studies Degree or its equivalent from a program recognized by the NC Department of Public Instruction, that includes specific coursework required for the license.  School licensure candidates have a full program of study that only allows room for 9 credits of electives or three 3-hour classes.  Click here for the Plan of Study. A practicum is required at the end of the program, along with successful completion of the NC Specialty Area PRAXIS exam for school librarians.

What type of license will I have as a school librarian?

You will be issued a NC Standard Professional II Educator’s License.

In NC, school librarians along with school counselors, social workers, psychologists, and speech-language pathologists have a student services license which entitles the holder to provide specialized assistance to the learner, the teacher, the administrator, and the education program in general.

Student services personnel who have completed an approved preparation program and satisfied NC’s testing requirements are issued a Standard Professional 2 (SP2) Educator’s License.  Standard Professional II Educator’s Licenses are intended for teachers with 3 or more years of teaching experience and are valid for five years.

Student services personnel who have completed an approved preparation program but not satisfied NC’s testing requirements are issued a Standard Professional 1 License.  When NC’s testing requirements are satisfied, the license is converted to a Standard Professional 2 License.

State Board of Ed Policy ID Number:  TCP-A-001
Policy Title:  Policies on General Licensure Requirements
Current Policy Date:  06/06/2013

When do I take the PRAXIS exam?

The Praxis NC School Library Specialty Exam (5311) should be taken during the practicum semester or immediately there after. Information regarding test dates and locations can be found at the PRAXIS official site. Note that 076 licensure candidates need only take PRAXIS II, not the PRAXIS I test.

How do I prepare for the PRAXIS exam?

You should prepare for the PRAXIS by reviewing your notes and readings from LIS 617, 618, 653, 654, 635, 693, and other courses. You are well prepared for this exam after completing the UNCG program. Our mean scores are well above the passing rate of 148. No UNCG LIS graduate has ever failed the PRAXIS exam.

How do I apply for a teacher’s license for school library?

During the practicum semester, information will be disseminated about the teacher licensure process. Near the end of the semester, candidates should request an application for teacher licensure from the UNCG School of Education.

With the application, you must submit copies of all transcripts, along with copies of any previous teacher licenses, and a copy of the PRAXIS specialty area exam score. The School of Education then sends the completed paperwork to the UNCG LIS School Library Program Coordinator for approval and with approval, then sends it to the NC Department of Public Instruction. The process can take 60 days or longer.

What are the requirements for the MLIS with School Library licensure?

Students wishing to obtain school library licensure (076) along with the MLIS degree should work carefully with their advisors to develop a plan of study. There are only 9 credits of electives within the 36-credit program for school library students.  Students without previous classroom teaching licensure and experience must satisfy additional educational requirements which includes a course in educational foundations, educational psychology, reading, and a field experience course. Please contact the school library program coordinator for more information.

What if I do not have an education degree or a minimum of 1 year’s teaching experience? Can I still be a school librarian?

Yes.  You will need to complete some additional education coursework which includes a course in educational foundations, educational psychology, reading, and a field experience course.  More information is available from the school library program coordinator.

What is involved in a school library practicum?

Practicum for school library is evolving. Currently, school library students work with the school library program coordinator and the practicum supervisor to design a practicum that meets licensure requirements. This planning process should occur the semester before the practicum is scheduled. It is possible to do a practicum “on the job” if one is working as a school librarian.

Visions Program

What is the Visions program?

Visions is a program offered to visiting and non-degree students who already hold a bachelor’s degree. Prospective Visions students may want to take one or more courses for a variety of reasons including personal enrichment, professional knowledge, or renewal of teacher licensure. Visions permits students to register for classes without being admitted to a particular program of study. Up to nine hours of appropriate courses taken through Visions may be applied to the MLIS degree program on admission.  Only 3 hours may be applied to students who already have a MLIS degree and are seeking school library licensure only.

Visions students are not admitted to the University, The Graduate School, or to a specific degree or certificate program. However, credits earned at UNCG through Visions are recorded in the University Registrar’s Office on an official transcript.

To learn more about the program, visit the Visions website.

Financial Aid Inquiries

How do I get financial aid?

The Department of Library and Information Studies usually has a few Graduate Assistantships in the department available each fall. These carry a stipend for 20 hours of work a week for the LIS offices, on research projects undertaken by members of the faculty, or in the LIS computer laboratory. These graduate assistantships may carry out-of-state or in-state tuition waivers. While every effort is made to find financial resources to carry students through a second year of study, these assistantships are only available for one academic year of work (i.e. fall and spring semesters). There are also several scholarships offered by the LIS Department and the School of Education.

Organizations and library associations are also good sources of financial assistance. Please see the Financial Support tab under the Prospective Students section of this website for more detailed information.


Where can I find LIS forms?

To find various forms that you may need for admission or throughout the LIS program, visit the Student Forms page.

Student Advising

How do I contact a professor in the department?

Email is the best way to contact most professors. Email and contact information can be found in the Faculty Directory.

How do I register for classes?

Before students can register for classes, they must meet with their advisor to go over their Plan of Study and to obtain their advising code. You can only register for classes after specific dates each semester. To find out more about registration and when you can register, visit the University Registrar’s Office.

Students accepted into the program are notified about their advisor in their acceptance letter. Visions students are not assigned advisors and should contact the LIS office for answers to questions.

Where can I find the 3-year course plan?

Visit the LIS Three-Year Course Plan 2011-2014 to find the projected course offerings for the next three years.

What classes are being offered next term?

The official class schedule for the semester can be found on UNCGenie.

When registering for classes, what do the various acronyms mean?

  • LEC– This is a traditional face-to-face class
  • VCF– Means a class lecture shared by two campuses and takes place in a teleconference room – one campus is face-to-face (usually Greensboro) while the other campus participates through videoconferencing.
  • WEB– This course is completely online.
  • WLC – This is a “Web lecture” course where there are face-to-face lectures and people can patch in online as well.

Information Technology

How do I set up a UNCG e-mail account?

For information about how to set up your UNCG e-mail, visit 6-TECH Online, the official website for Information Technology Services at UNCG.

How do I access online library resources for UNCG?

Visit the University Libraries website to access the library catalog, databases, Journal Finder, and other resources.

How do I get access to Canvas?

To access Canvas, use your university-assigned Username and Password. For more information on using Canvas, visit Canvas Support.

What do I do if my UNCG password isn’t working?

If your UNCG password isn’t working it may have expired. Go to the UNCG self-service password reset page ( and fill out the form. Make sure you select having all logins reset to avoid confusion between Blackboard Collaborate and Campus Email, etc. You may have to wait a few minutes after reset for changes to take effect.

What do I do if I’m having trouble with Blackboard Collaborate?

If Blackboard Collaborate isn’t working properly please check the Blackboard Support for help. You can find tutorials and a link to UNCG 6-Tech support if the tutorials are not applicable.

How can I get help with a computer program, such as Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, etc.?

Log on to UNCG 6-Tech Support to find help for problems with Microsoft Office software.

Where do I go to get help with computer problems?

Log on to UNCG 6-Tech Support to find help for problems with computer hardware problems.

Where can I borrow digital cameras, video cameras, and digital recorders?

The Teaching Resources Center is located in room 310 of the School of Education building. They provide a host of resources and equipment to any student enrolled in a program within the School of Education. Jackson Library also checks out camcorders, digital recorders, and tripods.

Where can I borrow a laptop?

The Teaching Resources Center is located in room 310 of the School of Education building. They provide a host of resources and equipment to any student enrolled in a program within the School of Education. Laptops may also be checked out from Jackson Library, but their laptops are only available for use within the building.
Student Services

Where can I go to look for a job on campus?

The UNCG Career Services Center has information about on-campus and off-campus employment. (You can also log on directly to Spartan Careers, which is where most on-campus jobs are posted.

Where can I go to get a parking permit?

For parking information go to UNCG Parking Operations and Campus Access Management. Parking is available on first-come first-serve basis and on-campus permits sell out quickly. You can see the various permit options here. In addition some local churches within walking distance of campus sell permits to use their parking lots during the week.

Where can I park on campus?

Go to the bottom of the parking options page and click on the parking map for a .pdf file. Most commuter student parking is located in the Oakland and Walker Ave parking decks, and in the surface lots adjacent to Spring Garden St.

How do I get started looking for housing in Greensboro?

There is some on-campus housing provided for upper-class students by UNCG Housing. However, most graduate students choose to live off-campus. The UNCG website for commuter students lists nearby off-campus apartments.

Where can I find info on funding and other resources for UNCG graduate students?

Check the Graduate Student Association webpage to find out information about funding and other resources provided to graduate students across campus. The GSA offers funding for graduate students to attend conferences.  You should also check the LIS financial support page for helpful links.

Connect with the School of Education!